For security reasons, it is not possible to send a token anywhere but to your registered home address within Japan. First of all, you must update your mailing address. Download the Address Change Request Form / Residential Status Change Request Form (Resident/Non-Resident Change) Change Profiles and Download Forms, and enter the required information and send it to us. Please note that customers requesting a change of address in approximately the last 3 weeks cannot apply for a token.

Tokens are sent by registered mail. Because this kind of mail cannot be forwarded, it cannot be received at a forwarding address. Your understanding is appreciated.